New book from the makers of the international digital conference NEXT: The Great Redesign
The Great Redesign – Frameworks for the Future – this is the title of the new book from digital pioneer Matthias Schrader and communication expert Volker Martens. Due to COVID-19, it is appearing without a physical conference but nonetheless with renowned speakers such as Azeem Azhar, Benedict Evans, Miriam Meckel, David Mattin, Genevieve Bell and Ramez Naam.
Hamburg, 01 September 2020 – Times of crisis pose a radical challenge to our normality. After all, what has led us into a crisis will not lead us back out again. The lockdown and reset will therefore be followed by a redesign of our world.
Ideas for this are gathered in the book The Great Redesign (to be published on 20 October) with essays from international thought leaders in digital transformation. There are contributions from authors including Azeem Azhar, David Mattin, Genevieve Bell, Benedict Evans, Ramez Naam and Miriam Meckel, whose newsletters and books are held in high regard by a broad expert audience. As analysts, scientists, designers or trend researchers, they analyse and comment on the current situation and share ideas for a world that needs new and inspiring thoughts in light of the pandemic.
In 17 essays, the authors outline the design possibilities that the current global crisis is creating for the future. They examine the topic of The Great Redesign from a wide variety of perspectives ranging from work and global value chains, to politics and capital, future design and innovation, the transformation of our cities and our energy supply, diversity and language, art and cybernetics. The authors from the USA, Asia and Europe provide facts and frameworks for designing our future.
The book is being published by Next Factory Ottensen and is edited by the major agency thinkers Matthias Schrader (Accenture Interactive) and Volker Martens (FAKTOR 3). After “Digital Fix” and “Parallel Worlds”, it will be the third volume to be published in connection with the renowned NEXT Conference, which has moved its activities online this year.
The authors and their essays:
- The great transition - Albert Wenger, venture capitalist
- In search of better worlds - Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg, artist
- Zero gravity in innovation? - Axel Averdung and Kristina Bonitz, digital strategists
- Don’t call time on the megacity - Azeem Azhar, entrepreneur and author
- Mind your metaphor - Ben Sauer, designer
- Covid-19 and forced experiments - Benedict Evans, analyst and author
- Designs for life - David Mattin, trend researcher
- The new cybernetics: lessons from the last Great Redesign - Genevieve Bell and Amy McLennan, scientists
- Future of work: The five opportunities and threats of today’s crisis - Laëtitia Vitaud, New Work expert
- Rhinos, gluttony, and quantum states: Re-imagining the right now - Miriam Meckel and Léa Steinacker, journalists
- Redesigning technology for the art of human connection - Pamela Pavliscak, designer/futurologist
- Unchain the human in the global value chain - Payal Arora, anthropologist
- Gaianomics, or the self-designing Earth - Rafael Kaufmann, product manager
- A can of worms or a foundational asset? - Sohail Inayatullah, political scientist
- Now is the time to design our futures - Thomas Müller, designer and brand visionary
- Solar energy’s future is insanely cheap - Ramez Naam, technology investor and sci-fi author
- Diversity now! – Tijen Onaran, networker and author
The book will be published by Next Factory Ottensen in German and English on 20 October and will be available for €29.90 (paperback). If you are interested, we will be happy to send you advance copies and can arrange interviews with the authors for you.
Paperback: approx. 200 pages
Publisher: Next Factory Ottensen; edition: 1st (20 October 2020)
Languages: German, English
ISBN-10: 3948580049 (German), 3948580243 (English)